All Party Parliamentary Group Meeting
On 22 March 2016 representatives of JHMRF will be attending an All Party Parliamentary Group Meeting on occupational safety and health.
During this meeting MPs and invited guests will consider the controversy over the UK’s failure to provide research funding for the asbestos cancer: mesothelioma. On the one hand, the Government claims that funding is available, but mesothelioma research proposals are ‘unworthy’, while on the other, the cutting edge work of UK scientists has resulted in the world’s most prestigious mesothelioma conference being held in May 2016 in Birmingham. Who is right? Patients, medical experts and researchers will seek to enlighten MPs and interested parties.
Speaking at the meeting will be:
- My Battle with Mesothelioma: Trevor Barlow, Manchester Patient and Carer Support Group, Greater Manchester Asbestos Victims Support Group.
- A Patient’s Perspective on Mesothelioma Treatment: Mavis Nye, Mesothelioma Warrior, diagnosed 2009.
- Dawn of a New Era for Effective Mesothelioma Therapy: Dean Fennell, Professor of Thoracic Medical Oncology, University of Leicester, President, International Mesothelioma Interest Group.
- Funding and Strategies for UK Mesothelioma Research: Where Now?: Dr. Kate Hill, Visiting Senior Research Fellow at Leeds Institute for Health Sciences, University of Leeds and JHMRF Trustee.
- Research in Mesothelioma Nursing: Liz Darlison, Mesothelioma UK